Monday, February 8, 2010

And.....we're back

Sorry, we'd gone radio silent for a while here at The Run Around but now we're back up and running, literally.  What I'd neglected to mention in my prison tale was the fact that my running shoes were stolen from outside my hostel room that very morning, and while I'm all for the barefoot revolution, sometimes when running in unfamiliar places in foreign countries you just plain need shoes...at least while looking for a good route.  So, without shoes for a week my runs were limited and consisted of just a few short jogs along the beach in Brazil.  Great scenery, but not much too write about.  Now I'm back in Buenos Aires working on a top secret project for a few days before hopefully heading down to Bariloche to do some running/trekking in the hills. 
Upon returning to BA the first order of business was to find a place where I could pick up a watch, camera, running shoes, and some havianas to replace my prison sandals.  Not knowing the word for 'mall' in Spanish I had to ask around for a bit and explain to a few people what I was looking for, but when I finally got my point across I was delighted to not only learn that the mall was just a few blocks away but also to find out what the word was.  Having spent a good amount of time in Spain I'm fully accustomed to, appreciative of, and often amused by the Spanish's habit of adopting variations of English words to depict deifferent things.  For example:  campground = el camping; parking lot = el parking.  And mall?  You guess it - el shopping.  Thanks Spain (and Argentina) for making things so easy for us gringos.  Following this logic you'd think bar would be 'el drinking', but they've made that one even easier...it's just 'bar'. 
While I've got pictures to share and things to write about, right now the aforementioned project is commanding most of my attention.  But stay tuned as there's lots of great fresh content to come.

- Ciao

2 comments:

  1. and don't forget:
    una mina: a woman
    un pibe: a guy
    and, regardless of where in the USA you were born or which team you are a proud fan of, if you are a US Citizen, in Argentina you are a yankee!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete